Sunday, August 12, 2007

About the Blog

In 1998, film critics and the general public strangely turned to Roger Ebert and wondered what he was thinking when he claimed that the film Dark City was one of the best films of the year. It hadn’t done well at the box office, and the rest of the critical community offered mixed reviews of the film. So when the film came out on DVD, an entire commentary track was given to Roger Ebert to explain point-by-point, moment-by-moment, why he considered this film to be such an achievement.

It is probably not disputed that I am the biggest Fluid Ounces fan there is, and I’ve sat quietly by without making my case as to why the music is so great for too long. Admittedly inspired by Crimes on Paper, Jakob Dorof’s blog on every Self song (and to a lesser extent, Pop Songs 07, which is about every R.E.M. song), I am beginning the long journey to blog about every single song in the Fluid Ounces canon.

I hope to shed some light on how this music has led me to react so personally to it all, as well as to explain how these songs have helped make up the [beware of cliché] soundtrack of my life (you can read more about my life here). It is also my hope to create a single fan-generated web resource about the band. If I can generate some discussion among their all-too-fragmented fanbase and maybe win over a new fan or two, I won’t complain about that either.

I will update this blog every Monday, Thursday, and Saturday. There will be lots of downloads and videos to help our readers and visitors on their journey as well.

2 comments:

Jakob Dorof said...

getting excited just thinking about it. fl oz's music is always reliably great, and timbs is one of my favorite lyricists ever.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see an entry somewhere in the blog on what songs should be in the definitive "Best of Fluid Ounces" CD. I'm putting together my own right now and would love to hear suggestions...

Purchase Fluid Ounces mp3s Directly from the Band!