Thursday, October 4, 2007

Destined to Be Forgotten

From The Whole Shebang

This remarkable song has only been performed live once (to my knowledge, at least), and its history is a twisted one. Produced by Matt Mahaffey, both he and Seth Timbs discussed this song in separate interviews, the former for Ink 19 and the latter for Popmatters. I have placed the two parts together for you here:

Seth: “I could never get the band to play it. They all thought it was too dismal. And one of the times I went out to visit California before I moved there, I saw Matt Mahaffey, and we had a whole day off, and he said, ‘We're gonna record "Destined To Be Forgotten" today. It pisses me off that you've never done that song.’ I'm like, ‘Okay! I love that song.’”

Matt: “It's one of his many songs that would have stayed in his closet for the rest of his life, so I said 'let's record it and you let me do whatever I want to on it,' since he's known for being very particular in the studio. So we finished it and he said it was one of the best songs he's ever recorded.”

The song was written sometime in the late 90s when the original line-up vetoed working it into their live sets. After being recorded later, it was initially considered for release on Foreign Legion, and I’m glad it was left off as its production style would have clashed with the rest of the record. I had heard rumors of the song since reading the Mahaffey interview in 2000, and was initially disappointed when it wasn’t on Foreign Legion, but equally excited when I saw that it had made its way on to The Whole Shebang, where it is the perfect closer for that record.

The subject matter of the song is another eulogy of sorts, this time for a relationship that is either long ended or coming to its bitter end. The speaker is lamenting the good times of this relationship, sad that the happy memories are now locked away in soon-to-be-forgotten history book as he knows both parties will be moving on with their lives and on to other relationships.

Being entirely produced by Matt Mahaffey, who added backing vocals (his first appearance on a Fluid Ounces record since his guitar offerings on “Shamrock” from Big Notebook), with bass provided by Mac Burrus, who collaborated with Seth in the first line-up of Moonie and the Johndogs as well as on the writing of a couple of songs, “Destined to Be Forgotten,” has a unique sound to it, not even mentioning the drums provided by Kelly Scott, who played with Failure and Tool, whose style is heavier than the drummers we’ve heard on Fluid Ounces records before.

6 comments:

Jakob Dorof said...

damn, never made the failure connection...that's awesome.

Anonymous said...

MM playing on Shamrock is not a rumor. On the heavy guitar choruses, all 4 ounces (Sam, Ben, Seth and me) plus Matt stood around in a pentagon and all played that part on 5 guitars at the same time.... at least that's how I remember it... that could all have happened in an alternate reality though...

and yes, we didn't want to play this song live... too many slow ones already... ;-)

great recording though... there are TONS of other tunes never officially recorded outside of demos....

'Do You Dream In Black & White?' comes to mind along with this one... maybe one day Seth will release all those demos in an Andy Partridge 'Fuzzy Warbles' manner...

Juan Horsetown said...

I don't even remember where I heard about MM playing on that song, but I thought that Eli Shaw was in on it too.

Is there any way we could arrange to release some more never-heard demos through this blog?

Jakob Dorof said...

and then maybe later collect them online as a b-sides collection with an official title and all that? pleeease mr. rogers? :P

personally i love demos, sometimes more than the finished product. i don't know if seth uses the 4-track ever to demo, but i love that sound...guided by voices has me permanently smitten with it.

Anonymous said...

i don't think Eli played guitar on Shamrock....someone had to man the board.

Kerriffic said...

bring it back!! oen fo the best "end songs". it takes everything Whole Shebang wants to say and ties it up in a nice little ribbon and sends it on home. Peach and I were listening to this in the car once and when it was over he looks over at me and with a half sarcastic funny voice says "yeah, i like that song"

Purchase Fluid Ounces mp3s Directly from the Band!